13 Feb Strawberry Date Brownies
WHO’S FOR “DATES” ON THE BIGGEST “DATE” DAY OF THE YEAR?
My friend has a darling little girl who has completely stolen my heart. Since Valentine’s Day is around the corner, I was inspired to make these brownies for her. While she didn’t know it at the time that I was making these Strawberry Date Brownies for her, I think the secrets out when she sees this post.
The best part about these chocolate brownies is that they are sweetened with dates and topped with strawberries. So, they are healthier while still being really yummy. If anyone knows me, you know that I have got a major sweet tooth. Like, I mean I just bought BOXES of girl scout cookies. I can’t help myself! Because these brownies are a healthy take on my traditional brownie recipe, they make me feel a lot better about eating one…or seven.
As the ambassador for California dates, I’m always looking for new ways to use dates. For the last year, I have been using dates in place of sugar and you know what? IT WORKS! They make brownies more healthy but they keep the sweetness. It is amazing.
To substitute dates for sugar, you bring the dates and water to boil and make it into a paste. Then, I took my basic brownies recipe and subbed in the date paste. You have to try this. They have natural sugar and taste amazing. And, if you to add a little extra love, I added fresh strawberries to the top. I get my strawberries from the farmer’s market from Harry’s Berries. Since they are not always in season, I couldn’t help but add them to this recipe!
I would love for you to try these for Valentine’s Day. If you do, snap a pic and tag me #chefstuart on Instagram.
These brownies use dates to perfectly sweeten these brownies that are simply amazing! They use rich cocoa and fresh strawberries to give them that perfect fudge brownie taste. Top this off with a homemade chocolate sauce you are going to love!
2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
1 ½ cup water
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¾ cup cocoa powder
¾ cup all-purposeflour
1 cup walnuts, lightly chopped
1 cup strawberries, finely chopped
¼ cup cocoa powder
¼ cup honey or maple syrup
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
Splash of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 8×8 brownie pan and line with parchment paper.
- Bring water and dates to a boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes and mash with a potato masher or fork to break up. Transfer to a bowl and using an electric mixer cream the butter and date mixture together.
- Add one egg at a time and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Mix in flour and cocoa. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter into the pan and smooth. Bake for about 20-22minutes.
- While baking, whisk the sauce ingredients together. Remove brownies from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, spread sauce on top and let sit until completely cooled.
- Using a heart cutter, cut out shapes and sprinkle with fresh chopped strawberries.
- Category: dessert