17 Oct Best Fried Chicken
Sitting here on my flight thinking about this fabulous fried chicken I made this week for my family. It was probably the best I’ve ever made. So naturally, I’m gonna share the recipe with you all. I want posts and tags for people who make it.
- 1 shallot peeled, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup Franks Hot Sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black
- 4 chicken breast skinless bone in
- 8 chicken thighs skinless, boneless
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 bottles canola oil 48-ounce
- In a bowl, combine chicken with buttermilk, shallot and franks hot sauce. Let sit in the fridge for at least 8 hours up to 24 hours or over night.
- Remove from fridge and let come to room temperature, this will take 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile in a large pan mix flour, baking powder, paprika, onion and garlic powders together with a generous dusting of salt and pepper.
- Pour the oil into a medium (9-inch round x 4 1/2-inch high) Dutch oven, such as Le Creuset, fitted with a candy thermometer, until the oil is 4 inches deep. Heat the oil over high heat until the temperature reaches 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, lift the chicken from the marinade, dredge it well in the flour mixture, submerge it again in the marinade, then dredge again in the flour mixture, dusting off the excess. Transfer the chicken to a plate or sheet pan until ready to fry.
- When oil hits 350, carefully lower one piece at a time into the pan. Fry 3 pieces at a time only. Fry for about 6-8 mins. Remove and set on a wired rack. Repeat. Season with some salt and serve.