Date and Peach Clafoutis
This date and peach clafoutis is such a nice twist on a classic French dessert. Traditionally, a clafoutis contains black cherries. For my take on this classic, I am substituting fresh peaches and my favorite California dates for the cherries. I love using California dates in dessert recipes because they allow me to lower the amount of added sugars that most recipes call for. I also love how as the pie bakes it softens the dates giving them a nice toffee chewy texture and taste.
When to serve this dessert:
I love to make this dessert when I’m having friends or family over for dinner. It’s great for dinner parties because you can put it in the oven to bake while you are eating your main course. Because it is served warm, this date and peach clafoutis will be ready to eat when you are ready for dessert! Another reason I like including this in my dinner party plans, is that it is a dessert that sounds and looks complicated, but as you can see from the recipe, it’s really simple to make. You can easily impress your loved ones with a French dessert without having to try your hands at a soufflé.
As I’ve said before, I love cooking with simple, quality ingredients. Remember, cooking delicious food does not have to be complicated or difficult. Choosing a simple, delicious dessert like this date and peach clafoutis is a great way to elevate even the most ordinary meals.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more delicious recipes and a peek at my everyday life in California with my two dogs, Jack and Bo!
Find me on Instagram HERE.
For more delicious fruit recipes, try these:
A delicious twist on a classic dish.
butter, for pan
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
6 California dates, pitted and cut into thin slices
1 peach, cut into segments
powdered sugar, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350˚F.
- Lightly butter a medium-size flameproof baking dish or an 8 inch cast iron pan that is at least 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Put the whole milk, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and flour in a blender.
- Blend at top speed until smooth and frothy, about 1 minute.
- Pour a 1/4 inch layer of batter into the baking dish. Turn a stove burner on to low and set the dish on top for a minute or two, until a film of batter has set in the bottom of the dish. Set aside.
- Spread 1/2 of the peach segments and 1/2 of the dates over the batter. Sprinkle on the rest (1/4 cup) of sugar.
- Pour rest of batter over the fruit and batter in dish. Spread rest of reserved fruit over the batter.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until browned and puffed up. Check doneness by inserting toothpick in center of clafoutis. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
- Let cool slightly.
- Serve warm. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.
Keywords: dates, peaches, dessert