Anytime I have made a grilled cheese sandwich, I always feel like I made it with a different cheese each time and the result was just ok. I was like, ok you are a chef this isn’t hard to master a grilled cheese sandwich so I tried a few different types of cheese and I finally came to these two cheeses. I love a sharp cheese always and I have always loved a slice of American cheese on a burger so why not have both on this sandwich.
A Few Tips for the Best Grilled Cheese:
It is super important to butter both sides of the bread. I recommend using either all mayo or a mix of both mayo and butter for the ultimate crispiness. Buttering both sides will help the cheese melt faster so your sandwich on the outside doesn’t burn. As a result, you’ll have a better sandwich.
To master the perfect grilled cheese you want to make sure your cheese is room temperature so it all melts evenly when you start to cook it. To accomplish this, take both of the cheeses and the butter out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes before you begin.
Are you following my cooking series on Instagram? I’m cooking with easy-to-find ingredients on my Instagram account as we go through this COVID-19 #stayhome period. Follow me @chefstuartokeeffe and cook with me!
If you are having the best grilled cheese sandwich, you need my creamy tomato soup with it! Find the recipe HERE.Print
There is nothing like a good grilled cheese sandwich. Everyone needs to know how to make a good one and this is the one you need to know how to make.
2 slices white bread/sourdough
2 slices American cheese
2 slices white sharp cheddar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Heat a non-stick skillet over a medium to low heat. Let it warm up for a minute or two.
- Place each slice of bread on a cutting board. Spread with mayo on the outside of the bread.
- Turn bread over, spread butter on inside of each slice. Place white cheddar, then American, white cheddar and finally American on top. Close the sandwich with the butter side face down.
- Place sandwich on medium hot pan and let sit and cook for about 2 minutes. Give the sandwich a check until it’s toasted and then flip over and do the same. Do not walk away from the pan, it can easily burn if you don’t keep a close eye on it.
- Remove to a plate and slice in half. Enjoy!
- Category: sandwiches
Keywords: cheese, grilled cheese, comfort food, simple food